Sunday, November 11, 2007

Handy Hats

Well, its a good thing we decided to knit hats for our newly-bald football players. Gettysburg was frigid this weekend! We won our first three games, but lost the championship to Chicago. Sad day. The hats were fantastic anyway. Stephen certainly liked his:

Most of the hats were solid red, but I liked the stripes on this one the best.

I don't think I explained before, but the guys auctioned off the rights to shave their heads for donations to Heifer International. We raised over $2800! I think Stephen's hair went for a llama. I and two other knitters finished 13 hats on the drive up there. We also taught someone how to knit, so we were quite proud of ourselves. It was a productive trip.

I had, of course, planned to knit a lot during the games, but unfortunately it was freezing and I kept my hands in my pockets whenever possible! That scarf is one of the first things I ever knit (knitted?). At one point I had a long sleeve t-shirt, a wool sweater (from a store, I can't knit with the stuff but I can sure wear it over things), a regular t-shirt, a hoodie, a rain coat, a hat, the big red scarf, a pair of gloves, a pair of fingerless mitts, a pair of mittens, two pairs of socks, and big waterproof hiking boots on and was still cold. Something must be wrong with me. I've been in the south too long.

Or perhaps I shouldn't stand outside in the cold all day.

I did accomplish some knitting during our inside times. I worked on these socks but haven't taken a more recent picture. The heel is turned now.

I also worked on a steering wheel cover for the woman who cuts my hair. She's also a student so we barter knitting for haircuts.

I'm pretty sure its long enough, but I have to try it on the steering wheel to make sure it fits correctly even though I measured carefully. Cotton stretches!

I'm glad to be back from my travels, even though I came home to an entire container of cat food all over the laundry room floor. I think Munkus was a bit peeved that I left him. He had fun nibbling on my needles while I worked on a surprise project this evening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this... :)
pretty much that's all. But it's true!
-the not-so-craft-crochet-er