Thursday, November 8, 2007

Travel Knitting

I'm not much of a sports watcher, but this weekend is the big Luther Bowl tournament in Gettysburg and I'm going to support my school. A whole bunch of seminarians get together to play football (aka: run around in the mud). The gentlemen of the team have decided it would be fun to shave their heads. A whole bunch of (mostly) southerners who are headed much further north think its a good plan to shave their heads before they go spend the whole day outside. My seminary knitters think they need hats, so we're going to spend the 8-9 hour drive knitting for them.

Of course, once we get there and the hats are done, I'll need something else to do while I spend all day watching the tournament. I've got a ton of projects on the needles, but most of them aren't going to be good for sitting outside in who-knows-what kind of weather. Then there's the 8-9 hour drive back which will require some knitting as well. Throw on the fact that I'll be in a somewhat crowded 15 passenger van and you've got the gist of the problem.

What's a knitter to do?!

Here are my thoughts:
On the Way Up: Hats. Lots of hats. This is not really negotiable.
At the Tournament: Things that are simple. Things that are washable. Things that are small enough to cart around in my hoodie pocket.
- perhaps the cotton steering wheel cover I'm making
- one of my socks (if I turn the heel beforehand)
- crazy fun fur scarves
On the Way Back: Something a bit more complex, though still washable and rather small.
- Green Tea Raglan?
- entrelac socks?

Here's a picture of the socks from a few weeks ago. I have since turned the heel! I feel so incredibly smart when I work on this. Yarn is a wonderful confidence booster. If I can handle five tiny metal sticks and not impale anyone, I can do anything!

Of course... not impaling anyone might be more difficult in a crowded van. Maybe I should stick to circs.

No comments: